Easy Crockpot Beef Birria Tacos and Consome Recipe
Crockpot Birria is a flavorful Mexican stew that cooks all day in the crockpot until the beef is super tender and juicy, then it’s ready to serve up in bowls, topped with all your favorite toppings,, like pickled onions, queso fresco, cilantro, avocado. Or make birria tacos, also super delicious, especially when you dip the tacos into the rich, beefy consome.
Birria Tacos are a great Mexican street food and with this recipe you can make them easily at home!
Easy Crockpot Beef Birria Recipe
Birria tacos are perfect for taco night, especially when you dip the tacos into the rich, beefy consome!
- Slow Cooker
- 3 – 4 lbs chuck roast
- 2 acho chili pods
- 5 guajillo chili pods
- 1/2 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 14.5 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- corn tortillas
- onions diced
- pickled onions
- cheese shredded
Easy Pickled Onions Ingredients
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 tbsp sugar
Preparing The Chili Puree
- Wash the chili pods well, then clean them by cracking them open, removing the stems, dried veins and the seeds. If you’re sensitive to chilis, wear gloves. Once all the chilis are de-seeded, cover them with water and bring it to a boil. Then remove from heat and let them soak for about 10 to 15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients so they can soften.
- Roughly chop half of a large onion and add to a blender or food processor. Peel 2 large or 4 smaller garlic cloves and add to the blender. Next, add the spices: 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon cumin…. 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Add one 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and 2 teaspoons Better Than Beef bouillon.
- After about 10 to 15 minutes, the chilis will be softened. Add them to the blender with about a cup of the soaking liquid. Cover and puree this mixture until it's smooth, about a minute or two.
Preparing The Birria
- Trim off the hard fat from the beef and season it generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and sear the beef on both sides. Remove it and place into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Pour the chili puree mixture into the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Then pour it over the top of the roast. Add 1 cup of water and two bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 – 8 hours.
- After 6 – 8 hours, the meat is done and will be incredibly tender. Use two forks or your fingers to shred the meat, removing and discarding any fat and gristle.
- Once the beef is shredded, it can be added back to the consomme to be served as stew. Serve birria stew with avocado, ranchero cheese, cilantro and lots of pickled onions.
Easy Pickled Onions Instructions
- Thinly slice about a half of a red onion. Add a few jalapeno slices for some spiciness.
- In a medium saucepan, combine onions, jalapenos, water, white vinegar, salt, oregano and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and let it simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Then remove it from heat and let it cool. Once cool, drain the onions from the liquid and transfer them to chill in the refrigerator.