Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken is perfect for quick & easy family dinners and the best potluck recipe! In under 3 hours, this crockpot bbq chicken is deliciously tender and ready to eat.
We start with chicken legs and chicken thighs, dust them with a flavor packed bbq sweet and spicy dry rub, spread on some Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce and cook them in the crock pot for 2 ½ to 3 hours.
Our slow cooker bbq chicken recipe is one of my favorite potluck recipes for finger licking goodness everyone will enjoy ??! Get the napkins ready and celebrate Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day or your favorite celebration with this amazing bbq chicken and watch your family devour it’s sticky goodness! ?
The Best Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- olive oil spray
- BBQ sauce
BBQ Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (+ 1 tbsp see notes)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
BBQ Dry Rub
- To make the dry rub, mix the dry spices together. Taste a little bit of the mixture to see if you like the combination of flavors. I like a slightly more sweet bbq rub for our chicken, so I’ve added a one more tablespoon of brown sugar. If you like a spicier bbq chicken, add a bit more chili powder, black pepper or a touch of cayenne pepper.
How To Make Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
- Prepare the crockpot with a coating of spray oil.
- Dust the chicken thighs and chicken legs with the bbq spice rub.
- Layer the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the prepared crockpot.
- Drizzle on the Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce, and spread it gently over the chicken using a basting brush or the back of a spoon. Don’t add additional liquid to the slow cooker, the chicken will release juices as it cooks.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ to 3 hours until the chicken is cooked through or reaches an internal temperature of 165F. After the chicken is done cooking in the slow cooker, I transfer it to a sheet pan.
How To Crisp The Skin
- After the chicken is done cooking in the slow cooker, I transfer it to a sheet pan. Then, add a little more bbq sauce.
- Pop it under the broiler or onto the grill for a few minutes to crisp the skin.