Pecan Sandies Cookie Recipe With Candied Pecans
Our Pecan Sandies Cookie Recipe are buttery, nutty shortbread cookies topped with candied pecans. This shortbread is packed with toasted pecans, and we like to top each one with a candied pecan – you can use store bought or I’ll show you how to make candied pecans in just a few minutes! If you love pecan cookies and remember old fashioned pecan shortbread cookies, you’re going to love having these on the Christmas cookie platter!
Pecan Sandies Cookie Recipe With Candied Pecans | Pecan Sandies | Christmas Cookies
Our Pecan Sandies Cookie Recipe are buttery, nutty shortbread cookies topped with candied pecans. This shortbread is packed with toasted pecans, and we like to top each one with a candied pecan – you can use store bought or I'll show you how to make candied pecans in just a few minutes! If you love pecan cookies and remember old fashioned pecan shortbread cookies, you're going to love having these on the Christmas cookie platter!
Pecan Sandies Cookie Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optionally crushed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 16 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 26 candied pecans
Candied Pecans Easy Recipe
- 26 pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan Sandies Cookie Recipe Instructions
- This recipe requires 1 3/4 cups toasted chopped pecans. Roughly chop the pecans (or use store bought chopped pecans). Toast the pecans over medium heat in a large skillet. When they’re golden and smell nutty, after about 4 or 5 minutes, remove them from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, measure out 2 ½ cups flour, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Whisk the dry ingredients to combine.
- In another large mixing bowl, add 16 tablespoons of softened butter. Beat on medium speed for about a minute, then add ½ cup granulated sugar and one packed cup of brown sugar. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until the sugars are well incorporated into the butter.
- Add one egg, and beat the mixture. Then add the other egg and beat the mixture to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture, adding half and mixing on medium speed. Stop to scrape the bowl and adding the second half. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and add 1 ¾ cups chopped toasted pecans, and fold them into the cookie dough.
- Make cookie balls about a tablespoon in size, and place on the baking sheet at least an inch apart. Cover and chill for at least an hour and they can be chilled overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Bake the cookies until they’re slightly golden brown around the edges, about 12 – 15 minutes. For me it was about 12 minutes. Add a candied pecan to the middle of each cookie while the cookie is warm, and cool the cookie on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Candied Pecans Recipe Instructions
- Combine the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt the brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Add a teaspoon of vanilla. And add the pecan halves and stir to coat and toast.
- Cook over medium low heat, the sugar will caramelize and coat the pecans. Remove from heat and cool the pecans in a single layer on parchment paper.