This Easy Mexican Rice Recipe is from our Tia Celestia and it’s one of the most used recipes in our family cookbook! Learn how to make your favorite restaurant Mexican rice at home with this simple recipe.
Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1.3 cup avocado oil, olive oil or vegetable oil
- 12 oz can whole tomatoes in their juice (or diced tomatoes) undrained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (modify based on your rice, see note below)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Rinse 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice in a strainer under running water, then shake to dry.
- Chop two cloves of garlic and one medium onion.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/3 cup of oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the rice, stirring to coat all of the rice grains with the oil.
- Fry for 8 – 10 minutes until the rice is a pale golden color.
- Add the garlic and onion to the rice and stir.
- Saute for 3 – 5 minutes until the onion has softened and turned translucent.
- Add the can of tomatoes with the juice, stirring it into the mixture.
- Cook for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring often, until the mixture is almost dry.
- Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of salt and stir.
- Carefully add 4 cups of chicken broth, stirring gently to combine. Confirm liquid amount for the rice you are using, and adjust as necessary to match recommended water amount.
- Reduce the heat the medium and cook uncovered, without stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- At this stage, holes may appear in the surface. Move a small amount of rice aside to determine if any liquid is left, if there is, continue cooking.
- Once the liquid has evaporated, remove the pan from heat and cover it with foil. Set the rice aside to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork or large spoon and serve!